Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Sock Bug

Now I have been bitten by the sock bug. It's contagious. All of you bloggers and your socks in pretty colours and sizes and shapes.... and I cought the bug from you. Just saying it's your fault.

I started some Jaywalkers on Friday night. Like 11pm friday night because I was bored...

and got to this stage by around Sunday evening...















Which became this by Monday and look I actually cast on the second sock!!















If you wanted to know, the yarn is Hip Knits sock yarn in 'Bouquet'. I actually got it from Get Knitted a while ago when I bought the dye-your-own kit as well.

Of course, Sunday evening I was blog reading and thought Hmmm... I'm going to investigate other sock avenues. Big Mistake.

This led to purchasing (which isn't really allowed at the moment) and the parcel which arrived yesterday (quick I know!!)...

which contained Brittany Birch DPNs 15cm 2.25mm, some Opal Uni, a Fiber Trends Leaf Lace sock pattern and.... some Lorna's Laces in Desert Garden.

Now I have been restrained as far as the Lorna's Laces Sheperd Sock is concerned because it is too beautiful to do anything with but touch and stare at lovingly.
















Mmmm yum!

On the other hand I have to do something when parcels arrive so to test out the DPNs which are not only smaller, but birch....















I cast on the Leaf Lace socks. in the Opal Uni.















This is a fairly good likeness of the colour... maybe slightly greener. They're not as difficult as i thought, though being lace I have to concentrate hard.

Fiona's review:

The pattern is good though. It has either written or charted instructions and clearly written so even I can understand. I'm testing my chart reading applications and actually found it easier to keep track of the row I'm on (surprised!) and I'm making less mistakes than I thought.

The Brittany DPNs are really lovely. The smaller length makes them easier to handle and i don't keep poking myself in the eye/belly/boobs with the ends now and if I do it hurts less than Addi aluminiums! I am afraid I could snap them, but they must come with the 5yr guarantee for a reason right?

The Opal Uni is about what I expected. Being very inexperienced in sock yarn it's difficult to compare. However it is nice, one colour makes it easier to do the lace pattern and there is lots of it for the price so no quibbles.

I love the Get Knitted site. Just saying.

I'd better jump in the shower as I'm going to LOOK at guinea pigs and tropical fish. I shouldn't really buy anything today but you know that's the worst thing when you go to LOOK isn't it. I'll let you know what happens.... ;o)

3 comments:

Nickerjac said...

The jay walkers look fantastic, I will get around to knitting the leaf lace socks but musn't cast anything else on (if I keep telling myself that there maybe hope)

Alice said...

mmmm lorna's laces.

I love my long lornas laces socks, and as soon as the weather cools will go back to wearing them twice a week. I waited for the right pattern for ages, then just decided to toe-up st st to show off the colours and make the most of the yarn. it worked a treat.

Alice said...

... useing blogger as email tool - in reply to where saw anti-craft:

its been around for ages, I'm surprised you haven't come accross it. They use LiveJournal a lot (or used to) which is where I first came accross it, but they were featured in Bust and mentioned in general crafting sites like Whip Up a few times. Plus the knit blog world loved them when the first started - lots of buttons etc, and a team for the Knit Olympics. Maybe its was a rather American thing, I spend quite a bit of knit-interaction time with yanks.