Sunday, August 07, 2005

broken promises and more knitting!

Hey folks

I'd stupidly promised myself that I wouldn't buy wool this month. Like I have the willpower to do something so difficult!
I was doing really well until I got to KnitChat yesterday. I had a look through the new Rowan books and
Magazine 38. Hmmm not much for me in No 38- very weird or just not me, only really saw a couple of things so I couldn't justify it really. However when I looked through Classic Winter I just really liked a few things and the yarn is just scrumptiously soft! So I'd failed. It really isn't my fault is it?
I bought 9 balls (may need one more..) of Soft Tweed in 'Twig'. Sounds boringly brown... but it has little bits of blue in it and looks fab with jeans... sold to the girl in cotton tape and an unfashionable desire to knit huge jumpers in summer!















And so I'm making
'Barra'.
Here is the progress so far....















(sorry about the cheesy ironing board cover *cringes*)

It's growing surprisingly quickly for moss stitch... though I'm sure I picked it because it would take longer... these winter projects on big needles don't take more than a week for me (and then a month to pluck up sewing courage).

I think after Barra I may make Campbell.
*Thinks*....Ooh.... I must be a proper knitter now I think 8mm needles are big, before I wouldn't do anything unless it was chunky and quick!

I suppose I ought to make an effort with the other (oh so many!) WIP... here was the sleeve progress before the naughty cardigan:















I'm just about decreasing for the raglan bit... another 10 inches or so then! I just have a feeling that this is a disaster in mohair form! It's gonna be fit for the charity bin as soon as sewn probably! Maybe i'll sew the first sleeve on when I finish it to see what it's gonna be like before casting on the 229 stitches for the next sleeve ruffle...

Hmm... i know this post lacks colour... I've gone all beige since the multicoloured trip of Jenny Blossom and HipKnits silk. I guess the eyes needed a rest!
And... a treat for you.... well no it's not but it's not normal either! It's me at work (looking fed up as usual) in my lab coat and hiding while Fay takes a quick piccy:
















Notice how deserted the place is... yes we really are that shortstaffed most days... one wonders why I'm stressed?! (yes I realise I have muppet hands in this picture- it's the latex gloves I wear in the lab!)

And now I've terrorised you bloggers I'll just say that Rose from KnitChat features in this month's Knitting magazine with Debbie Abrahams in an article called 'Hangbags and Gladrags'. She'll not thank me for saying that but she's super wonderfully nice and I love her to bits. Thankyou Rose!

Right better pack up the washing for Mum's (still on the blink) and get dressed and ready for sunday lunch. Yum!

1 comment:

RoxyK said...

How could any knitter possibly not buy anything knitting related for a month? Just not physically possible :) I really like Soft Tweed too & am using it for the wrist warmers in Rowan 38. Can't believe you've done the back so quickly though on Barra. I looked through Classic Winter but it didn't tickly my fancy like no. 38 so didn't get it. Rather like the look of Classic Home though.....