Tuesday, January 01, 2008

On a roll

Well I have actually started Dahlia!

The Cash Iroha is absolutely wonderful. I thought it might be a little scratchy like the kureon, but even though it still has the classic Noro loosely-spun thing going for it, it it actually still nice and cuddly. The silk in it gives it a lovely sheen so that even though it isn't variegated there is still a subtle colour difference due to the fibres taking the dye differently. I really love it can you tell? Sure it isn't as squish as say... DB Cashmerino but it has a really organic feel about it somehow- especially as you get the odd slubby bit now and again.

Ok I sound dead geeky there but it's a little review I had going haha. The pattern so far seems ok, though it seems scary that I'm going to have 261 stitched before I join the round! The first part of the yoke is knitted 'flat' on a circular because the front and back necklines are different depths. The sleeves are cute because the section for the sleeve when you cast on says 16st (for the M size) and on the first set up row, those 16 st are knitted with 'make1' between them giving this ruched shoulder effect that makes the puff sleeve. Very clever! This is the first time I've seen this and I really liked how it was done with minimal fussing.

Ok so I have a picture showing about 3 and a 1/2 inches of stockinette...




















My achievement for today so far- boring to most of you, but actually impressive for me since Seth has been a terror for approx 40% of today. I think his "terrible 2's" tantrums may be kicking in at 16 months! He's really frustrated with things as if he knows what he wants to do or say and can't express himself in any other way than smacking or kicking me. He actually hurts me so I've tried the ignoring him until he calms down, offering him an alternative if it's something he's not allowed to do, putting him on the floor, shouting at him.... nothing seems to have the desired effect. He's not like it 24/7 but those moments do tarnish the day. He has such a happy, cheeky personality and I really don't want him to grow into a terror. He really did inherit my impatience and temper- his dad is really laid back so we compliment each other in a way.... and annoy each other as well sometimes!

So at the moment I'm blogging my ponderings after watching "Knocked up" on the laptop and knitting and I'm listening to Fall Out Boy "The Carpal Tunnel of Love". I adore this band and not just because the bassist/writer is lush! Tomorrow I have to get some work done on my professional portfolio and I'm taking Seth to nursery as normal so I have some time alone in which to crack on. The folder has to basically prove my worthiness to practice biomedical science in a day-to day setting and also alone at night 'on-call'. This folder is the last obstacle, other than the interview that comes with it's completion, between me and being a qualified biomedical scientist.... and I have until the end of January!

Right, I might fit in a row or three before hitting the sack.... G'night x

2 comments:

RooKnits said...

Love the colour... and what a clever sleeve construction. Hope you manage to get lots done tomorrow..fingers crossed xxx

Unknown said...

Happy New Year! Good to see you back in Blogland; thought you had given up the blog for good. Time really does fly, doesn't it?