Tuesday, March 11, 2008

are you sitting down?

I ask this because I have a surprising project on the needles.... A SOCK!

Yup once again I'm attempting to beat SSS and knit a PAIR of socks.... problem is SSS is like those other nasty diseases that are treated into remission but never really go away (like herpes, syphillis, myeloma). Now whilst latently hiding within me it could be just waiting to raise it's ugly head, so I'm trying to be optimistic and keep it at bay.

The design is 'Crosswalkers'- a variation on the bias pattern that is in the now world famous 'Jaywalkers'. It is much easier than counting the pattern repeats because on every other row, the kbf and ktog / ssk and kbf are at done with the stitches either end of the needles. However, it means I have to use 4 needles to spread the stitches over so I feel like i'm wrestling with a porcupine- I've more comfortable using dpn's when the stitches are over 3 needles.
















Here it is on the ebonys.... though because I have a habit of snapping my 2.25mm dpns I actually have a set of 6 which are a combination of brittany birch (very flimsy) and soxstix in ebony (lantern moon). The points are better on the ebonys as well. I think when I have some more spare cash I'm going to buy another set. I like the addis for strenght but they're too long for me and I tend to get injured or impale someone else!

















This is a close-up of the biased effect of the knitting.

















This is the safety demonstration.... protect your sock with squirly whirly things. It means I don't have to worry about the needles getting lost or stitches jumping off. However, I think with dpn's I'm going to have to get one of those tubes with a slot in that completely covers the needles so that they can't poke through my bag etc.

Now, to those wondering why I'm dayblogging it's because Seth spent all of yesterday being sick and we're home again today so he can recooperate. Nursery wouldn't have had him due to the sickness policy in case he gave it to the other children, but since he's not been sick today I think all being well he'll be ok for nursery tomorrow. My boss will be pleased!

Well, toodlepip I'm going to try and fit in 10 mins sock knitting while Seth's napping!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one well secured sock :lol: I usuallu have longer needles so I just need two, one on either side which makes it a lot les fiddly. But i it works. well good on you!

RooKnits said...

Poor Seth, I hope he gets better soon. Keep on with the sock knitting, it is fun!

Dawn said...

good luck with sss! I also use 3 working needles, and will adapt a pattern to do this.
Two ways to combat sss. you can work on two pairs alternating socks, or if this is too much, work leg1, leg2, heel1 heel2, foot1 foot2.

I just try to keep to one pair at a time - it's the only wip rule I follow.

Janey said...

Hope little Seth is feeling a bit happier now!

Great looking socks....keep going! No SSS!

Anonymous said...

just at the end of my very 1st project and have used the Harmony wooden DPNs 15cms, and have never lost any stitches as they seem to grip the wool really well; actually i lost a whole row cos i inadvertently pulled a whole needle out whilst i was on the train but don't think that counts!
also started with 4 needles and to start with it felt like they were ganging up against me, but persevere, you eventually get used to them! Mogs