Saturday, September 30, 2006

What a week!

Hi folks! It's been such a rollercoaster week! From the depths of despair to feeling peachy... phew thank goodness it's Saturday :o)

The week starts as a generally mundane Monday- doing a lil' shopping and house work etc etc... then we get to Tuesday and I'm having to do more uni work.... the Wednesday comes and BAM!
Wednesday was horrible! I had electricity circuit breakers tripping, bills coming in, LOTS of uni work to do and being fobbed off by the local ethics comittee a dozen times... and Seth having a colic day (hence screaming and me being able to absolutely nothing about it).

Now, I've finished all the modules for my degree except 1; the damned Honours Project. I couldn't get it off the ground last year so I ended up grovelling to the course tutor and muttering about maternity leave and equal opportunities... to get another difficult time this year of sorting it all out. Basically a local research ethics comittee has to say whether you can start your project. Bloody Biomedical Science- is it worth it? No. But I've started so I may as well finish the damn thing! And so this project uses real human samples... but no results or patient data will ever be published or given to the patient or doctors... only I will have anonymous results for a project that wont hurt a fly and doesn't really mean squat to the department as they wont implement the necessary changes to policy as they will not spend money on things that matter... like staff and good tests. They spend it on the boss' new chair and paperclips.

I was forwarded on to 3 different LREC representatives before I got the information I needed and it all had to be done for friday. See why I was panicking? 57 pages of forms, protocols, C.V.s, flow charts later... I managed to get it posted. Now I just have to wait until 16th October when I have to go a Dept of Health ethics meeting up against a panel of non-scientific judges and explain a scientific project. Go figure-if they're not scientists, how can they judge my scientific principles?

So, thursday and friday I was running around my workplace and university campus handing in god knows what and getting stuff signed. Phew!

O.K. sorry about that... but it's been a week coming and I feel better having ranted to the sympathetic ears (eyes?) of the knitting community. :o)

In the meantime....
I have done some knitting. I started some fairisle mittens from the Simply Knitting magazine and have knitted 1 of a pair of Sox. I absolutely love this pattern. O.K. so there's some sewing up to do, but the construction is ingenious and being d.k. weight they're really quick to knit. I can see lots of my sisters getting gift sox!!!

I would have posted pictures, except it seems that blogger doesn't like me ranting and refuses to upload... and when I've actually taken pictures as well. Hmph! Oh, if anyone can tell me more about putting my Flickr thing on my blog I'd be grateful... and then you could see my pictures without blogger being able to do anything about it!

Lets hope I can upload them after and Seth likes his trip around ASDA. I'll just say a quick word about my beautiful son- he's gorgeous and settling a little bit more now. Can't complain as I imagined much worse, though nothing prepared me for the emotional wrenching I get when he cries and I can't do anything. (Of course I end up crying as well out of frustration.) Danny has been a great dad- he's done so much better that I first thought he would and I feel so lucky to have our little family!

xxx

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Yeah, that sounds like a hell of a week! No wonder you're glad it's Saturday. Hope you get time for some R&R over the weekend (is that even remotely possible with a newborn???)

Steph said...

Yuk! Hope the last few days have been better for you. As for the crying - babies just rip your heart out sometimes don't they?!

RoxyK said...

Whew that was a bad week - isn't a relief when its all over......