Thursday, July 06, 2006

I'm melting!

Is it me or is it just too hot? I know I'm biased being pregnant and all but it's really knocking me for six. I've been off work since tuesday dinnertime with a poorly tummy and I'm pretty much sick of the sight of my bathroom as it is since it's in the early (very early) stages of being decorated.

I have made some progress with the Pea Pod baby set though:













The picture quality isn't great (it's much more mustardy-yellow) but what you see is the fronts and back completed. I've really enjoyed knitting this so far. All the stitches are cast on for the fronts and back together and worked in one piece to the armholes. Then each is worked separately- less sewing up for me!!!
I just have the sleeves and neck ribbing to do so I'me well pleased, though you all know how I get with sleeves.... lets hope they knit up just as quickly!

The only problem I have had is wrist ache. I expected my fingers to get uncomfortable with it being so hot, but the combination of lots of stitches, cotton and straight needles meant my wrists have suffered. I think if I made this again I'd either use a circular needle or use a different yarn. I can't complain about DB Cotton Cashmere though- it's beautifully soft and machine washable- ideal for a kiddie.

I did promise a pic of the nursery didn't I? Well again it's not fabulous but it's basically what the paper/border looks like:













I really like it as is is neutral and fun at the same time.

I received my magnum chunky yarn from Blueadt yesterday. I reckon it's going to be better suited as a gift for one of my nieces so I'll look out for a nice pattern for birthday/christmas. I really like King Cole Magnum chunky as it's soft and yet ideal for children. I reckon I could probably sub it in Rowan's polar. Rowan polar is gorgeous- but the beautiful finish really doesn't last long! I expect I'll end up using lots of acrylic blends now that I have my own little one on the way... cheaper and more suitable! It doesn't mean I'll be neglecting my own needs however! ;o)

Well... I think I'll cast on a sleeve and see where that takes me.
You never know I might enjoy it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. Pea Pod is looking great, I especially like the ribbing pattern.

RoxyK said...

Pea Pod is looking really lovely!

Yes, the weather has definitely been too hot for comfort recently. It's made my asthma go hayfever and the past week has drifted by in a haze of dizziness and headaches.....funny how I'm fine abroad - it's just in the UK I suffer ;)

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Juliet said...

Hope you're feeling better, hot weather is not good at these times is it? I adore that baby knitting - it is just yummy, baby is going to look exquisite (lucky baby). My offspring are 13,12 and 11 so they were born at a time when there were not all these gorgeous things to knit - looking back I inflicted some really grevious items on them!

Carolyn said...

Hot weather and pregnancy don't really go together do they? Hope you're feeling better soon. The Pea Pod looks lovely!

Steph said...

The Pea Pod looks really lovely. Take it easy in this weather - hope you're feeling better soon. :-)