Saturday, July 29, 2006

Back on the knitting trail

I have actually done some knitting for a change! Stupid though it may be in this weather, my desperation to knit prevailed.














This is a very simple cardigan called 'Callum' from Rowan Junior. I'm making it for my niece Bryony as a 'back to school' caridgan. It's meant to have a zip for ease of access and I've subbed the polar (lovely but not child friendly) for the KC Magnum Chunky which I got from blueadt. I actually like working with this yarn. It's soft for acrylic and machine washable which is great considering it's destination! I've done the back and left front- as pictured- and making a sleeve now. I've forgotten how I love 8mm needles for instant gratification!
















Now this I'm super proud of and for so many reasons!

1) It's a BARGAIN!!! It is Rowan Yorkshire Tweed Aran which I've admired for so long, but lets face it it's a bit pricey! However, when I went to Knitchat on Tuesday lunchtime, the Beatties/House of Fraser sale was on and the yarn- that day!!- had been further reduced to 50% off! The lovely Rose said she'd got a perfect colour for me which had been ordered by mistake and so it really was fated wasn't it!

2) There may not have been the need to buy all 10 balls... but since the yardage is great for the pattern I'm doing, there will be enough to do a felted bag. How great is that?!

3) The pattern itself will be a challenge. Those girls from knitchat know that I may be a spring chicken knitter, but I'm always up for something more challenging to push my knitting skills.... except lace I'm still dipping my toes as far as that's concerned!
The pattern is "Saltwater" from RYC Classic Beach. As patterns go, I've not done much 'aran' knitting. I'd decided I liked them though so this is a perfect project... though it could take a while. The picture above is roughly a days worth of knitting spread over 2/3 days. In this heat I could only do about 6 rows of pattern at a time before a drink or more food was needed! But I'm pleased.
I attempted a picture of the yarn but the lighting doesn't do it justice at all and the little flecks of green and purple just really make it beautiful. I have to say I just love it, the slubby texture and everything. Though it does shed onto what you're wearing, but hey it's ok.
I would have had the picture uploaded for comparison, but it seems blogger is refusing to play again :o(

Unfortunately, the lacy rib cardigan I thought I was doing so well on with my Cashmerino DK has been to the frog pond. I was devastated at the stupid mistake I'd made when I'd taken it to knitchat... I'd cast off stitches for the armholes and forgotten to do the rest of the armhole shaping and just carried on knitting the back. I'd got to the casting off for the shoulders before realising I'd wasted 60 rows worth of lacy rib and of course it's a *!%&%"$£ to rip then pick up the stitches again so in sheer frustration it got competely recycled into balls. I still intend to use this gorgeous yarn, but not for the same project. Ho Hum.

Had blogger been a nice, you would also have non-knitting pictures of some garden but never mind. You've been saved.

Yesterday I had an egg craving. Weird huh? I've never managed to go through a box of 6 eggs by myself before, but I just couldn't help it. I had boiled egg on toast at brunch time, made fairy cakes (despite being only 2 of us and 22 cakes does seem excessive) and then had a fantastic spicy chicken omelet (spelling?) for tea.

I'm used to craving dairy and eating a zillion ice lollies by now, but eggs.... well whadya know?
Yup yesterday I seemed to be cooking for most of the day... and yet it was purely by choice and the will for food.
Later on in the evening I treated myself to a foot soak and a manicure. I'd have painted my toenails, but I couldn't manoeuver to do it. The time had definately come where I'm going to have to teach DB to paint toenails properly. Not sure how I feel about that.

On that note, I'm going to make another cup of tea and maybe knit a while, while comtemplating if it's too hot to venture outside today!
byeeeee x

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that aran. Good for you finding the energy to knit in this heat! All I'm managing at the moment is another square for the knitted river.

blueadt said...

I'm chuffed to see you doing something with the Magnum chunky rather than have it lolling in my stash. The aran is looking beautiful too.

I remember carrying my DH over the summer of '95 (she was born on Oct 2nd) & I knitted my DH a cabled aran in recycled denim. I got the whole jumper done, sew up, collar etc apart from one arm before she was born. On Christmas day I presented him with the one armed jumper & showed him the cuff on a needle - that's all I'd managed in the 1st 3 months of her life :( I used to get blue hands from the yarn & tried to scrub the colour off before he came home from work.

Enjoy the last few weeks even though it may be dragging & keep your feet up!

sheep#100 said...

Just so you don't feel alone in odd cravings...When I was expecting all I wanted to eat was very hot, spicy food. Hot pepper relish on hot dogs and pizza!