Thursday, May 25, 2006

Progress! (if only small)

I've actually managed to post something. Amazing. Of course it helps that I'm supposed to be packing and moving house so I'm not at work, but I promise packing will resume after blogging and a bath.

So this week I haven't gotten zillions done, but I have managed small, quiet, dignified progress.

*The DIY sock:











Here is sock #1 finished.Finally. It would have been finished a heck of a lot sooner, but I've been ripping bits out and re-knitting. It's nothing to do with wendy's pattern, just that I'd started off by putting lace in the leg part... got to the ribbing and it wouldn't fit as it was too tight.

Plus i was unsure about the lace so I ripped it back all the way down to the heel. So, of course, it takes longer to knit the same distance in ordinary stst, especially when i'm fitting about 5 rounds in during tea breaks at work!

It's a short one again as I don't like anything too high up the leg atm, so it's sort of ankle-to-mid-calf length. Plus the ribbing is right now as I increased the no. of stitches. Hurrah, just one more to go. (Of course, the hedera sock #2 must be done first)

*Antoinette

I may not have taken any pictures of her, but the progress was satisfactory on this one. Previously I'd gotten the back, L front and a sleeve done. Last night I managed to finish the R front and...here's the amazing part....I sewed the side seams together and picked up 184 stitches front the neck shaping on the front, down and round the bottom cast on edges of the fronts and back and up the other front to the neck shaping. Phew!

Usually I absolutely loath picking up stitches, but I had a secret weapon... I'd bought an extra long bamboo addi circular just for that particular job. It was almost enjoyable. So why did I do this mammoth task? I hate knitting sleeves. However I only have the other sleeve plus the collar to do now. I am proud!

Just so that this post isn't completely knitting related.... I took some pictures while I was out with mum, dad and great aunty Jose. We travelled from our humble abode(s) in Wednesbury to Tenbury Wells (which is a bit of a distance).
Although, I didn't actually take any pictures of Tenbury (duh) I took some pictures when we were on our way home and stopped in Bewdley:












This was the view whilst eating our fish and chips by the river.












These fellows and some ducks wanted some of our lunch. There are masses of swans on the river at Bewdley.












If you look closely, this is where they were nesting. There had to be at least 20 nesting pairs in that spot!














But best of all was seeing these little ducklings which were only a day or two old. Mum kept them pretty close and hidden, but I'm glad I got a shot. So tiny!!!

So that sums up yesterday. Today I have the drudgery of packing up my belongings (again) and sorting through the junk which I somehow accumulate for no good reason!

No comments: