Sunday, February 17, 2008

topic 5 Anticipation

What kind of Spoilee are you? Are you paranoid that it's not being sent, or lost in the post? Do you want it to arrive quickly? OR Do you enjoy the anticipation? Sitting and pondering when it will arrive... and anxiously waiting for it, close to the deadline?

Well this weeks topic has been running on the ravelry group forum this week. I think my answer would be that because it is my first swap I am a little nervous and I want to make sure my downstream pal is spoiled. I think I'm trying not to get too excited about my parcel as I don't know what exactly to expect. I've really enjoyed emailing back and forth with my SPs and it's going quite well so far. I suppose I'm terrible with surprises and want to know what I'm getting and when but then feel disappointed (like if you know what your presents are before christmas day).

This week:

Well knitting wise it has been somewhat barren. Last week I managed to get Dahlia cast off but I haven't done the sleeves yet. I think the main reason I haven't rushed to the finish line with this one is I KNOW I have 5mm dpns somewhere but can't for the life of me find them! I have 4.5mm and 5.5mm at hand but dont want to spoil the project by messing up the sleeves. And because I'm stubborn I'd rather find them them than buy new ones when I dont use dpns all that often.

I have however made a little FO! I cast it on last night and finished it about an hour ago while seth was having a nap. DB has had a new toy- an Ipod nano and I've made him a cozy for it- just plain black as he's not into fancy colours. I used Rowan 4 ply soft on my ebony lantern moon 2.25mm dpns. I love working with wooden dpns but I have quite a grip and tend to snap them. My current stash of dpns are quite a composite of brittany birch (2 separate incomplete sets) and my beloved ebonys. I also have the addi metal dpns for a project that isn't super quick so I don't waste my wooden ones!

I made up the pattern after browsing through a few other bloggers FOs and cast on 30 st, did 5 rows of *k1tbl,p1* rib and then just knit until it was long enough for the ipod to fit in beneath the ribbing rows. I finished it off with kitchener stitch so there was no seam and weaved in the ends. Ta Da!!! I always have to get my copy of Stitch and Bitch out to do kitchener stitch though! I can never remember the steps.

I had started another project (yes strartitis is rife in my house) but then had to rip it out. I had planned to make a 'branching out' scarf from knitty for my great aunt as she loved the simple fir cone lace one I had made her for christmas. Trouble is the koigu I plan to use just isn't suited to the branching out pattern. The pattern needs something less variegated to show off the lace work and the koigu needs a pattern to show off the lovely colours. So.... I'm pattern hunting yet again. I only have 2 skeins of the koigu so I need something semi-lacy so that I can stretch out the yardage without losing the warmth of the yarn. I love koigu as it is just a great 'sproingy' and soft but delicate yarn.

Any how I have a great deal of tidying and such as the living room looks as if a pipe bomb went off and the toys were the shrapnel!

Good night and hopefully I'll get around to posting more than once a week when the swap topics come up!

1 comment:

RooKnits said...

Looking forward to seeing Dahlia. I might have some 5mm dpns if you want to borrow them...